A Real Bastard, Post 1

It is my habit to carry around index cards to record my thoughts if I have any story or game ideas when I'm out and about.  They get stuffed all kinds of places, despite my best efforts to keep them organized and in one place.  I found a couple of cards stuffed in a folder with my old resume in it, buried in the closet.  I didn't date them, so I don't know how old they are exactly, but they have to be several years old now at least.  I'll share it now, even though I probably shouldn't.

(Content Warning: Violence, Language)

I pretended not to notice as she slipped her hand into her small, black purse.  I knew the purse was large enough to house a tiny engine of destruction.  I couldn't say I was surprised.  I'd seen the sleek, little pistol before, though she didn't know that.  I'd never had good luck with women so I'd learned to be cautious.  It was a lonely way to live but it'd paid off on more than one occasion.  I just hoped this was one of them.
I stared hard at the suit to my front, the woman at my back.  I had my gun out, held casually at my side and pointed directly at his heart.  I didn't see the need to get aggressive about it.  We were still just having a pleasant conversation.  Smug bastard even had a little smirk on his face.  Of course, he saw the purse too.
I guessed he didn't have a complete grasp of the situation.  I almost felt sorry for him.  "Johnny," I said, giving him one last chance, "you need to walk away."
His smirk grew into a lop-sided grin.  "No chance, Simon, old boy.  Not 'til I get what I came for."
She had the pistol free from the purse now.  I could see the little black snake pointed at my back from the corner of my eye.  Here it was, moment of truth.  The pistol barked once, the small sound disturbingly loud in my tiny, tension filled office.  For a moment, we all stood still in the presence of Death.  Then, slowly and steadily, a pool of blood spread through Johnny's suit.  He mouthed a low exclamation of surprise and promptly toppled to the floor.
I lowered my gun slowly, walked over to him, and crouched next to his head.  He looked up at me and tried to smile through bloody teeth.  "Oh, Johnny," I said as I watched the last vestiges of life fade from his eyes, "You never get what you come for, only what's coming to you."  I sighed as I stood up and turned slowly to find the woman's weapon once again aimed at me.  "And everyone has something coming to them."
She smiled at me, then.  A cruel, twisted, poisonous smile.  I'd always known those blood red lips held a hidden venom.  Perhaps it was that sense of danger which had made crushing those lips beneath my own so exciting.  Or maybe I'm just a sucker for a long pair of legs and ruby red lipstick.
I could feel Death hovering above my shoulders, waiting to descend and claim its second soul tonight.  I smiled right back at her.  "Goodbye, Detective," she purred as she squeezed the trigger.  The gun clicked and my smile grew broader as I removed my other hand from my trench pocket.  I let the bullets slip from my grasp and clatter to the floor one by one.  She flinched at each one, her face growing paler.  I can be a real bastard sometimes.
She lowered the gun and made to say something.  I raised my gun and shot her between the eyes.  "Just a matter of who gets it first," I said to the empty air.  "Goodbye, doll."